Another item finished in time for my holiday!!
I wanted a white thin blouse with flounces. All the flounced tops are patterned this year, or in a plain colour other than white. I’d already bought a patterned readymade one some time ago. I thought to make a pattern from the blouse, but decided it was too difficult.
Then I saw this pattern… I wasn’t sure at first, but it’s a pullover dress, so after chatting to one of the helpful staff in my local John Lewis, I decided that it would work as a top.
I used a thin white georgette material. I originally cut the wrong size, so had to cut around my pattern pieces again. I decided I’d try a V-neck front with no sleeves and the flounces across the shoulders. I had a few problems, possibly because the fabric is very thin and quite slippy. I managed to pin things the wrong way round and had to unpick and stitch them again. Something makes me think I was hurrying and not thinking properly.
Originally I lengthened the bodice of the dress to leave the blouse straight so I could tuck it in. After trying it on a couple of times I decided that it didn’t really work. The blouse was still quite big and baggy. I took in the side seams and the seams under the flounces on the back. I also added another 2 or 3 inches of material to the bottom to include a casing for elastic.
I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out. I took it back into John Lewis and the staff member was really impressed!
The blouse will now fit brilliantly over my purple silk skirt (see earlier post and finished article below). It has the flounces over the arms and the frill at the bottom. I can’t wait to wear it. Roll on the holiday!!