Simplicity 2588

Well this is my first creation having got back from holiday and I’m really pleased with my handy work this time.

I bought the fabric in a sale at the end of June and decided it was just right for Simplicity 2588.

I love the Simplicity Project Runway patterns. They’re easy to make and give you so many options. The intention was initially to make a version of the green dress at the bottom, with a smaller yoke, a flared skirt and what they describe as flat sleeves. I decided to make pleated sleeves and I’m glad I did.

When I last made a Project Runway dress the bodice and skirt were a bit shorter than I’d normally like, so I added an extra inch to the bodice length and also added an additional two inches to the skirt. Although it took a while to cut out (I hate this most of all about making up a pattern!), the sewing was very quick. If I could find someone else to cut out all my patterns and transfer the markings for me, I’d love it!

Although I made this over about four days, I could have probably finished this in just over a day, if I’d have just sewn for the day. Unfortunately cleaning, shopping, cooking, etc gets in the way!

The sleeves were so easy. The pleats went in like a dream.

My mother always told me to hand baste things like this, but for this dress I used a contrasting thread and actually machine basted. I’m so glad I did, it made it so much easier. The bodice was really simple to put together, even though the curves are going at different angles. I honestly thought I’d end up with pleats where I shouldn’t have them, but it all sewed like a dream. Even attaching the yoke to the top worked really well.

The sleeve pleated and in place

I put in a centred zip, which isn’t what the pattern asks. The pattern has a lapped zip, which I always find difficult to insert and am never happy how I’ve put them in. I think if I make this again, I’d leave sewing the edge of the yoke until the zip is inserted. Although the zip was fine, the material was quite bulky at the top of the zip and not the easiest to sew.

All in all though the pattern was brilliant and I can’t wait to wear the dress. I’m really pleased with the finish. The pockets are quite big, so things may fall out of them, but they lay flat and don’t show on the sides at all.

Can you see the pocket there??
The only change I might do next time is to leave the length of the bodice as is and lengthen the skirt by three inches, because the bodice is a little long. The problem is, I couldn’t find a bodice length measurement on the pattern, so I had to sort of guess by measuring the pattern pieces and measuring me. OK, if I’d made a toile… I know… I’m sure it would also help if I had a dress form or dressmakers dummy, but that’s being saved for! Currently I’m the dummy!!
Anyway, here’s the finished dress, front and back, what do you think?

So that’s the latest, but I’ve got lots more to make. It’s probably the right time now to say:
‘I, Nikki of Nikki’s Stitches sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-Sept ’11. I endeavour to wear at least I’ve self-stitched or refashioned each day for the duration of September 2011’

This is going to be hard. I’m not sure I have enough items in the wardrobe to do this. I’m also hoping the weather will be lovely and warm, else I’ll be a bit chilly, most of my self-stitched items are summery for some reason. In the meantime, I’m determined to get a couple of Sorbettos made, then at least I’ll have some tops to wear. I can’t guarantee I’ll managed a self-stitched top and skirt together. Fingers crossed!


Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s