This fabric I bought when I went to Goldhawk Road back in September 2011, so it’s definitely from my stash! I remember only asking for a metre, but because it was the end of the roll, I ended up buying more than that! Looking through my post at the time, I intended to make a peasant blouse, well that didn’t happen! Funny how we get ideas when we buy the fabric and how they change when we finally decide to make them up. I’m sure I’m not the only one anyway!
Having seen a few incarnations of this blouse, I thought I’d give it a go. The pattern is BurdaStyle 09/2011. Karen from Did you make that? made two versions of this, one from elephant fabric, so I just had to give the pattern a go! (Could it have anything to do with my
obsession love of elephants?)
I am really happy with the finished blouse, but making it certainly hasn’t be plain sailing. As with most patterns from the BurdaStyle magazine, the instructions were almost worse than useless. I’d lost the plot after sewing up the seams! The first lot of pleats I stitched were completely uneven and so when I tried to attach the shoulder seam it was a complete mess. From then on, I kind of went my own way, guessing at what came next. I did follow the instructions for the armhole binding, and fortunately they worked out OK, although it’s possibly bulky under the arm, but not noticeably so. (If you’re wondering what’s different, the binding is attached before stitching the side seams.) The tiny collar at the back is a bit strange and takes a bit of understanding to attach.
This blouse is very long and the bottom is too tight for my hips, so I have to undo two buttons and it gapes. I’m not really one for putting a belt around an untucked blouse, but I guess I could try it. At the moment I think it’s best tucked in, but over trousers, the length will hopefully come into it’s own. I’m also debating whether to add shaping to the back, since it seems quite big and square! I wish I’d faced the back collar, since it seems quite flimsy compared to the front facings and pleats.
Fabric: A fine cotton with a red and cream leaf pattern, bought from Goldhawk Road, September 2011. I think there was about two metres in total.
Trims: Cream 4-holed buttons, possibly from Spotlight.
Pattern: BurdaStyle 09/2011 with no changes (as yet!)
First worn: For a photo shoot in our garden today, but will probably be worn to work tomorrow!
Worn with: A RTW skirt made by Kew bought in a John Lewis sale about three years ago and my red pumps bought in Rome when we were on holiday there about five years ago. Being Italian leather, they are so comfy and still look as good as new.