OK, so I’m two months late in blogging about this dress and even though Mel gave you a taster, I still didn’t get the post written. Sorry, not sorry. Life is life and sometimes it just takes you by surprise.
And so, for Indie Pattern Month, The Monthly Stitch did a pattern swap/round robin. Another member of The Monthly Stitch Collective was given my details and they would buy me a pattern from an Indie Pattern company I’d never used before, I in turn would buy patterns for someone else. I received both a PDF and packaged pattern. This is the PDF pattern. It’s the flounced dress from Salme, something I’d never ever thought of buying. It’s obvious that others see more in patterns than I do!
I made up the muslin of the bodice quite quickly, but it needed some alterations and by the time I’d fixed it, and made those alterations, it was way past New To Me week of IPM. I did actually finish the dress in time for the catch up week at the end of July, but getting around to writing the blog post – yeah well. I’ve made far to many excuses and I really don’t need to.
The fabric I bought from the Fabric Warehouse here in Wellington some time ago. It was bought with the intention of making a Pauline Alice Alameda dress, but when I received this pattern, this fabric was just perfect. The Alameda will need to wait and can be made in something else. 🙂
So the muslin, the bust darts were too high (this is usual) and the hips were too tight. So I moved the darts down, about an inch and a quarter. Seriously they were really high up. For the hips I think I initially added about two and a half inches, but took this in once I’d made up the bodice and tried it on.
This is where I deviated from the instructions. The skirt is a circle skirt and the instructions say to attach the front skirt to the front bodice and the same to the back. Then to sew up the side seams. I made up the bodice, took in the side seams around the hip, then cut the skirt pieces after. So I stitched the side seams on the skirt and attached the skirt to the bodice that way.
The skirt hem is actually finished on the machine. I love deep hand-stitched hems, but on a short circle skirt they just don’t work. It was easier to add a short hem and machine sew it. All other seams have been finished on my overlocker.
So this is my first Salme pattern and although I had a couple of fitting issues (to be expected) I really enjoyed the make. The pattern and instructions were clear and easy to follow. There were pictures to keep me happy. Admittedly it’s not really a difficult make, but even so, I felt it was clear and easy to follow.
Pattern: Salme Flounced Hem dress # 156
Another one/recommendations: I certainly recommend the pattern. The dress is a great make and really easy to wear. I don’t know if I’ll make another – too many other fab patterns to make up. But I am certainly happy with the dress. I feels really girlie, but it’s great for wearing out to dinner, there’s room to eat! 🙂
As usual when a friend takes your photos there are always some which wouldn’t normally make it to a bog post 🙂