Sumer is icumen in…

Or in 21st century English, summer is coming! Hurrah!

I’ve fabric cut out and sewing to do, but looking at My Makes page, I’ve loads of items to write about!

This was one of those sudden decisions to make something. About the middle of December we got some lovely warm sunny weather and I decided I needed a sun dress. One of those lovely ones with a fitted bodice and straps to cover my scaffolding straps. You know the type? So I reached for my pattern collection and reached for my stash and came up with this…

IMG_8876And to think I had wondered a couple of months ago why I even had this fabric in my stash! I honestly had no idea then what I might make with it, it just shows, not everything in your stash is worthless.

Anyway, this Simplicity pattern, I think I got from TradeMe or Fabric-a-Brac since it’s not available to purchase anymore, but it was perfect. I considered trying to find a pale green or orange to make the contrast straps with, but hey, there’s white cotton in my stash, I’ll use that. Best choice I reckon.

IMG_8884This dress isn’t lined, but I wanted a lining, so I decided to use a really fine cotton to line it. I made a muslin of the bodice with the lining. Good job too, it needed taking in above the bust and was too big too! Once I’d got that sorted, I based the dress bodice on the lining. It’s a perfect fit now! I also put pockets in the side seam, because… pockets!

IMG_8873The contrast fabric for the straps and bodice band is a slightly thicker cotton. The pattern instructions say to attach the front of the straps first, then fix the back. I was determined they would cover my bra straps, so I attached the back first, then attached the front, which ensured I had the right length and they were in the right place. No Mr N did not help me, I did it all on my own!

IMG_8869The pleats were simple, they went in like a dream. I love the way they fan out from the centre front and back.

IMG_8877I considered adding some grosgrain ribbon in white around the bottom of the skirt (about a couple of inches up), but then decided it didn’t need it. I reckon it works well without it.

IMG_8857The details
Fabric:  A cotton with orange flowers, which I think came from Fabric-a-Brac. Lined with fine cotton lawn and contrast white cotton.
Notions:  Thread, zip from stash and interfacing. I also used pale blue HugSnug on the hem, which of course is handstitched…

IMG_8882Pattern:  Simplicity Project Runway 2176
Changes made:  The bodice was taken in above the bust and added pockets to the side seam. I lined the dress completely. I also inserted a lapped zip rather than an invisible zip.
First worn:  For photos here at Aotea Lagoon in Porirua, with conveniently matching toe nails (not planned honest!)

IMG_8853Another one/recommendations:  If you’re after a simple sun dress which goes over existing underwear and makes you feel like a girl, then this is the pattern for you! It’s an easy make, I’m happy I lined it, I think it actually sits better with the lining. I’m not sure another one is on my list of things to make. There’s only so many sundresses you can wear in Wellington, NZ…

IMG_8862

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Sumer is icumen in…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s