I made this a year ago! And I’ve finally got around to photos – oops!
I first saw this pattern and fell in love with it when I saw this version by Tasia originally from Sewaholic. After seeing this version I just wasn’t happy until I’d clicked buy on the Style Arc website! The notched collarless neckline, cropped style with a curved hem. What is there not to like?
Casting my mind back a year… I made up a muslin and was actually really happy with the fit straight off, apart from… I ended up adding some darts in the back. It was just far too boxy. The darts have worked well and I don’t think look wrong at all.
The sleeve caps have great seaming. They have separate “arms” which are stitched together and then attached to the sleeve top which creates the shoulder. I also used shoulder pads, they are essential to give that great shoulder shape. I tried a couple of different pairs, these were the thinner ones. Placement of the shoulder pads actually took a long time. I wanted to get them just right.
The jacket is completely lined, including the sleeves and has a big facing which the lining is attached to. The lining is attached using the bag method and then the jacket turned the right way out. The jacket is sewn up in the lining of one of the sleeves, so it’s well and truly hidden. The neckline is top stitched around the edge adding a great finish and really bringing out those notches. I’m really pleased how that neckline looks.
There are two welt pockets. These were my first ever welt pockets and I was really happy with them. They were so much easier than I thought, but I have to say, that’s not from the StyleArc printed instructions (which are basic to say the least). There are instructions on their website, but I used the instructions from another pattern, which I knew were easy to follow.
Fabric: Shell – Grey textured loose woven rayon? from The Fabric Warehouse pop-up store, bought October 2015. Lining – from the remnant bin at the Fabric Warehouse, bought sometime Oct/Nov 2015. Probably cost a total of $25 for the fabric!
Notions: Thread, interfacing, shoulder pads
Pattern: StyleArc Gabby Jacket, size 14
Changes made: Darts added to the back of the jacket. I may also have shortened the sleeves slightly.
Another one/recommendations: It’s probably not something I would make again, although this was kinda meant to be a wearable muslin. Mm, not sure. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really happy with this jacket and I love wearing it and particularly feel great when I remember I’ve made it myself. I’m pretty happy with the fit. If you want a great fitting jacket, I would definitely recommend it. The instructions from StyleArc can be basic at times and assume a reasonable knowledge, so this is definitely not for beginners, but it’s a really good pattern. Definitely make up a muslin first to check the fit. As I say, the back was too boxy on my, so I added darts.