I couldn’t find the collective noun for shirts, so asked Mr N (the in-house chef), he came up with “a sweat”, mm, not convinced! 🙂 The other photos, they look like Admiral Nelson!
The in-house chef is not a fan of posing for photos, and consequently the resident dress form (she is yet to be named) offered to pose for me. Now please note, the shirts are made for a male and the dress form is female, although they don’t look too bad on her!
I made the first shirt for the in-house chef four years ago. I used Burda 7767 having seen the many versions on Homemade by Carolyn‘s blog. I’ve made four more in the last four years – yeah, one a year, I’m so generous. Unfortunately a lot of the fabrics are narrow stripes and so we have some fine examples of moire – sorry, not sure how to get rid of that.
I’ve had to make some changes since my first iteration of this pattern. The in-house chef has one of those stomachs which has “taken years of honing and looking after” – you know the type? And so I cut a size 42 in the chest and grade out to halfway between a 44 and 46 for the waist/hip area. He also has short arms and small wrists (like me) and so I shorten the arms by 2cm and grade them in at the wrist to a size 40. Other than that, they are as the pattern. All seams are flat felled and everything is top stitched where you would expect it, ie collars and cuffs.
Fabric 1: Quite stiff pale grey and white striped cotton with dark grey buttons. Cufflinks are metallic owls. The fabric I think came from The Fabric Store, the buttons no doubt would have come from Made Marion.
Fabric 2: Blue and white stripe. I think it’s a poly cotton. It’s quite thick, but requires little ironing. I’m unsure where it’s from now. Small blue buttons for the front and the cufflinks have thistles on them.
Fabric 3 (the rainbow shirt): Plain blue cotton from The Fabric Store. I bought it for something else, then saw a shirt like this somewhere and just had to copy it. The fabric is plain and so I used multicoloured shell buttons from Made Marion for the front. The cufflinks are circular metal buttons. I also used this multicoloured cotton top-stitching thread for all top stitching and seams.
Fabric 4 (the Paul Hollywood shirt): Narrow grey and white stripe (a bugger to sew) I think from the Fabric Warehouse. I didn’t have enough and so lined the collar, cuffs and button band with a shot purple cotton (that’s been in my stash for ages). The front buttons are small purple coloured wooden buttons. The in-house chef then chose the solid looking square buttons (they aren’t metal and are very lightweight.)
Pattern: Burda 7767 (which I think is now out of print)
Notions: In addition to the buttons. I’ve been trying different types of interfacing for the collars and cuffs. I found some great stiffer interfacing for the collars, but could only find it in white.
Changes made: I cut a size 42 in the chest and grade out to halfway between a 44 and 46 for the waist/hip area. Mr N also has short arms and small wrists (like me) and so I shorten the arms by 2cm and grade them in at the wrist to a size 40.