Bedtime!

Both Mr N and I have been in need of new PJs/nightwear/nighties/night clothes in the last year. We’ve had RTW night clothes for ages, and I’ve been sticking them in the machine with a complete disregard for the fact they had holes in, seams coming apart, etc.

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey PJs

To be honest I really didn’t know what to make these in. In the end I went in to Spotlight and looked for some fabric which would be fun. I reckon these work!  The pattern is Simplicity 1520 which I had to make some changes to. This pattern is a multi-sex, multi-sized pattern. Mr N likes to have an opening fly on his PJs, so I had to make a couple of changes to incorporate that. So I extended both sides of the front and so that they would overlap at the waist and provide a fly. Sorry, I didn’t take many photos and didn’t draft any pattern pieces. It was a bit of trial and error.

To be honest apart from the fly, these were a pretty quick make. This cotton is so easy to sew and make up. These were sewn on my machine and the seams finished using the overlocker.

The deets
Fabric:  Dr Who cottons from Spotlight, late 2017
Notions:  Thread and inch wide elastic for the waistband
PatternSimplicity 1520, adult size L
Changes made:  Changed the front seam to incorporate a fly, shortened the length by a couple of inches and removed the ribbon tie on the front.

Recommendations:  Well I made two of these in pretty quick succession. It’s a quick and easy make. I didn’t really follow the instructions. Why did I need to? I’d already self-drafted the fly so I certainly didn’t need to follow the instructions for the rest! Mr N is definitely happy with his PJs, so I call this a success.

Nighties for me

Me, I’m not a fan of PJs. My legs get really warm in bed, so PJs don’t work. This first one hasn’t worked as well as I originally hoped. I had a nightie from Peter Alexander which was really comfortable, so I thought I would trace a pattern from the garment and use some fabric from stash.

The pattern has a yoke which extends to provide a kimono sleeve which has a cuff. The skirt falls with a rectangle and then godet type shapes on the side seams to provide a handkerchief hem. Not sure I’ve described that very well, so hopefully the photos help.

The fabric for the yoke is a pale grey and white narrow stripe left over from a T-shirt (not blogged), and was a remnant from somewhere and the grey is a viscose knit with a slight texture which I came from Fabric-a-Brac some time ago.

I have to say, this went together a lot easier than I thought, although the grey viscose hasn’t lasted that well on the side seams and is already showing wear (I only made this around 6 months ago).

The deets
Fabric:  Grey and white stripe, a remnant from somewhere and a grey viscose knit from Fabric-a-Brac.
Notions:  Thread
Pattern:  Self-drafted, copied from a RTW nightie.
Changes made:  No changes, since it’s self-drafted 🙂

Recommendations/another one:  Can’t really recommend the pattern since it’s self-drafted, but I’m happy with it. It’s comfy and it moves with me when I toss and turn at night, which I often do! I’ll keep my pattern, so I can make another if I want to.

I also made two more nighties. Yes, mine were really on their way out, plus going away for work on and off, it’s helpful to have a spare, just in case I’ve not managed to get a wash done, etc!

This time I bought the fabric specifically. These cotton knits came from Spotlight. I love them, they’re so bright and cheerful. The pain was that they weren’t exactly woven straight, so I think they will probably twist over time, but hey, I’m only sleeping in them! I don’t think I lined the yoke seam that well on the striped version, but that’s all good, I’m not worried.

The pattern is a Prima pattern from June 2010 which I’ve made up a couple of times before as a top. One I made up as a sleeveless version and the second, I added the short sleeves. I lengthened them both so they come to mid-thigh length to make them vaguely decent!

When I’ve made the tops, I’ve always added shaping with double pointed darts in the front and back. I didn’t bother with darts for these, they don’t need them.

The deets
Fabric:  Abstract patterned cotton knits from Spotlight, December 2018.
Notions:  Thread and interfacing for the yoke.
Pattern:  Prima patterns, June 2010, size 16
Changes made:  Basically lengthened them from the tunic length, adding approx 6 inches.

Another one/recommendations:  This pattern has been a really good one from Prima. I know there are a number of people who haven’t been that impressed with Prima patterns, but I’ve not had any issues. I amassed a number while living in the UK and the ones I’ve made up I’m perfectly happy with and this pattern I’ve made up 4 times now! Just check out that side seam on the striped version above!

And they are labelled with my labels I got from the Dutch Label Shop not long before Christmas. I can now label ALL THE THINGS!!

Oh and that ticks off number one of my #makenine2019.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s