Happy first birthday to Muse Patterns!
I’ve been testing again! When Kat first mentioned this pattern combo to me, I was there. I love shrugs and I thought this one would be great to go over my concert dress to replace the very old tie front cardi I was using. As for the seam detail on the skirt, I was sold, please let me test, please, please!
This is great for stash busting, it uses such little fabric and is so easy to put together too. That easy that I forgot I was testing and completely forgot to read the instructions – oops!
I made the version with 3/4 sleeves. Honestly it is the simplest thing to make. Stitch the shoulder seams, insert the sleeves, sew up the side seam and sleeve seam in one go, hem the sleeve cuffs an then attach the binding around the raw edges and away you go!
I used less than a metre of fabric. My version gapes a bit at the back of the neck and the binding seems to be tight at the bottom of the back. I think this is really my fabric choice, trust me, trying to find notches cut in this fabric is nigh on impossible!
Now wearing this over my concert dress, I ideally would need to pin the front of the shrug to the straps on my dress, since it’s a strappy dress. I can’t be showing skin to all and sundry in concerts. I don’t have a photo of this yet. However, with anything else I love the shape. I think it looks great over everything else. At most, an additional inch on the front would be good, but anything more than that is getting in the realms of FBAs and SBAs. As it is, this style suits everyone.
Fabric: Black fluffy fabric received from a swap from A Charm of Magpies, one of our WSNB-ers
Notions: Thread and some cotton tape to stabilise the back of the neck.
Pattern: Muse Patterns, Tahi Shrug, size 40
Changes made: None
First worn: For photos here at Truby King Gardens in Wellington with the Tahi Skirt and a Belcarra made in June.
Another one/recommendations: This is a great pattern, definitely recommended even if you just want something quick and easy to make up. I’ve a feeling more could be on the cards for me. It comes with four different sleeve options, to cover all seasons. I’ve just taken mine away on holiday and it was worn every evening out!
Ok, so the skirt. Those seam lines on the front, they were what drew me to this pattern. Just look how simple yet effective they are. I made this out of minimal fabric and even my pattern placement required quite a bit of pattern Tetris. I had to place the centre seamed piece at 90 degrees to the grain. It was just not possible any other way. Oh, and before you ask, the plain simple A-line skirt just wasn’t an option!
To be honest I love how this shows on the final skirt. I reckon it was an inspired choice!
I thought the corner seaming detail on the front would also be really difficult but no, follow Kat’s instructions and you’ll be fine and dandy. Honestly, they are so easy, it’s frightening just how easy they are.
The problem I had was with the zip… Due to the lack of fabric I decided to omit the centre back seam and use a side seam zip. Silly girl I forgot Kat has said all seams bar that centre back seam are 3/8ths. You try putting in a lapped zip with 3/8th seam allowance! Fortunately after ripping the zip out I realised that I’d cut too large a size and could easily take in 5/8ths seam allowance. Zip woes averted! It’s still not perfect because I played around with the seam afterwards to get the skirt to fit but I was testing the pattern and was uncertain of my size. I cut a size 40 if that helps, since I’m between sizes. So I went up a size as I thought it would be quite fitted.
The instructions are really clear, I even followed the instructions to the letter for the zip. This is something I’d normally just go, lapped zipper, ok I know what to do!
I’m also shorter than Kat and ended up cutting about an inch and a half off the bottom. Personal preference for length also intervened.
This is going to make a great casual skirt in my wardrobe. I’m working out what I could use to make a fancy posh one, perhaps something floaty which needs lining in the long flared version?
Fabric: Tan coloured cotton drill, a remnant from Evans of Masterton, April 2015, I had 90cm of 150 wide!
Notions: Thread, metal dress zip and waistband stiffening
Pattern: Muse Patterns, Tahi skirt, size 40, which I took in.
Changes made: I removed the centre back seam and put the zip in the side seam, and shortened it.
First worn: To Fabric-a-Brac here in Wellington, with my Belcarra, made in June. Photos here in Truby King Gardens
Another one/recommendations: Like the shrug, this is another great pattern from Kat. The drafting and the instructions are really great. The corner seaming is so much easier than it looks and it’s just so effective. I certainly quite like the idea of something long and floaty… Just check out that maxi floaty version on the website.
Kat gave me this pattern for testing purposes. All comments and opinions are my own.