One of these days I’ll come up with an inspirational title…
It was only a matter of time before I made something from some fabric with elephants on. If you know me, you’ll know how much I love elephants. This fabric has been around on the blogosphere for a while and I saw it while in Spotlight at the North Island Sewing meet in Rotorua and suddenly I knew what I wanted to make with it.
My amazing friend Kat designed this pattern last year and named it after Melissa, another of my great friends, known in the blogosphere as the Curious Kiwi. I was too busy to join in the pattern testing, but knew the pattern would be on my to make pile ASAP. Those double princess seams, the wee accent pieces on the front and back… What was there not to like?
I didn’t find any issues with the instructions. The wee pockets on the front, were really simple to put together. I think I cut the front contrast pieces off the grain, as when I attached them to the pockets, the elephants were decidedly out of line with the elephants on the blouse and I had to cut them again.
I did have a slight problem with the fit, once I had finished. It was way to big above the bust and so I had to take in the seams either side of the pockets. I don’t think I will use these as pockets, so it’s not a big problem. I also have quite a large overlap for the button placket – about 5cm. Now Kat has drafted this pattern with a B and a D cup. I went for the B cup as I have only an inch between high and full bust. I’m wondering if I should have gone for the smaller bust size, but with a D cup. Mm, just wondering, I guess I will have to make the pattern up again to check fully! The back however is a great fit. Perhaps the size 40 back and the 38D front… As you can see, this pattern has really made me look at my shape/size and what size I make up.
As much as I have loads of buttons on my stash, of course I didn’t have anything to go with this blouse, so I had to buy more, Made on Marion came to my rescue again! These matt finish buttons are perfect.
Fabric: Navy and white elephant print cotton, with white and red cotton for the contrast, from Spotlight Rotorua, July 2015
Notions: Thread, interfacing and the red buttons (from Made on Marion)
Pattern: Muse Patterns Melissa blouse, size 40 with a B cup
Changes made: Not really, except I had to take it in above the bust a wee bit.
Another one/recommendations: I’m tempted to make up the dress version. I love a version which Kat made herself with lace inserts. I’m wondering if I remove the pockets on the front and use the lace, or actually use lace topped fabric to make up the contrasts. Mm, ideas, ideas…. As for recommendations, go for it, the pattern is well drafted, with fab instructions, as usual with Kat’s patterns.
First worn: Well I first wore this for photos in Porirua at Aotea Lagoon with a skirt (not yet blogged). The only problem is, it’s been too warm to wear since! The lovely Sandra took the photos, and we had to have one of me with the designer and the inspiration! 🙂 (I’ve got about ten of the three of us and in every single one, Mel looks fabulous and in most of the others, either Kat or I are making silly faces – does this say anything to you! 🙂